[Hampshire] Xrandr and switched off monitors

Author: Dr Adam John Trickett
To: hampshire
Subject: [Hampshire] Xrandr and switched off monitors
Hi,

I currently run my desktop system with two monitors, the original Iiyama on
DVI-D and a cheap Hanns-G on the HDMI. The Iiyama is the primary and the one I
use all the time, the Hanns-G is only required some of the time.

As far as I can tell X and xrandr is able to detect both devices when they are
plugged in but can't actually tell me when they are switched on or off. So if I
only have one monitor powered on (even at the mains) xrandr reports both
present and hence X and KDE think that there are two monitors in situ.

I can write a small script to manually change from a 1 to 2 monitor set-up,
which isn't a problem, I just wondered if anyone knows how to detect if there
is a monitor plugged in but switched off?

Debian testing
Nvidia graphics and driver

--
Adam Trickett
Overton, HANTS, UK

Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever.
    -- Napoleon Bonaparte