Re: [Hampshire] Lacie Backup Disks

Top Page
Author: Brad Rogers
To: Hampshire LUG List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Lacie Backup Disks

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x569df100.hantslug.org.uk.3662': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Mon May 12 13:25:16 2014 BST
gpg: using RSA key 4BC36C6C174D31C1
On Mon, 12 May 2014 12:49:53 +0100
David Webb <djw@???> wrote:

Hello David,

>1. Are disks still my best archive storage system?

Given their cost these days, probably. Although CDs and DVDs can be
cheaper, their use requires extra step be taken. This eats into
cost/performance benefit ratios.

>2. Should I just be buy cheap disks and replace one of the pair each
>year?

Even cheap drives should last longer than that. If you do disk checks,
you should get warning in advance of impending doom.

>3. Should I be spending as much effort checking the disks as
>archiving?

Probably; What's the point of archiving/backing up if you can't
restore? I've come across people that used tar (or equivalent) to
archive stuff, and never checked it was possible to unpack the archive.
When the worst happened and they had to restore from a backup, guess
what happened?

>4. Is there a better strategy?

Keep at least one of your backups off site: It's no good having the
backup drive next to the computer if the computer room goes up in
smoke. They used to say at least 200yds away and in a fire proof box.
For many of us getting the backup stored that far away can be a
problem(1). I settle for "at my in-laws" which is only 20 yds,but at
least it's a separate building.

(1) Unless you're on very good terms with the family at the other end
of your street. :-)

--
 Regards  _
I hope I live to relive the days gone by