Re: [Hampshire] 'Killed' response when running program from …

Author: Bob Dunlop
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] 'Killed' response when running program from command-line
Hi,

On Thu, Jan 16 at 09:02, Robin Wilson wrote:
> 2. I'm intrigued as to how much memory this program uses - I thought it wouldn't be much but obviously I was wrong. I would normally just use top, but the program executes very quickly and so I don't have chance to do anything like that - is there something I can run the program with that will tell me the total memory usage once the program has exited?

I don't know but I bet it's humungous.
Ever since university when I was introduced to the phenomena (they actually
used the guys work as an example of how not to do things), whenever I see
Fortran mentioned I think "Dumb physicist who knows no other way to do
matrix maths". Closely followed by "Dumb physicist with huge N-dimensional
arrays with only half a dozen set points" and "haven't they heard of sparse
matrix calculations".

The only thing 30 years has taught me about the Fortran rule is that "Dumb
physicist" is an assumption, works just as well for "Dumb chemist", "Dumb
geoscientist" etc. The assumption that Fortan will be a memory hog holds.

I wonder what valgrind tells you. "valgrind command" will run the command
and give you a summary of dynamic memory allocated and freed.
Also worth running "size command" as I've seen Fortan programs with huge
static memory allocations, add up the bss and data values.

--
        Bob Dunlop