Re: [Hampshire] Terminal screen saver

Author: Imran Chaudhry
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Terminal screen saver
+1 for serial console.

I found this useful when I had my NSLU2/Slug and SheevaPlug and had to
disagnose bootloader issues etc. I used a tool called minicom to make
the connection.

You might also want to enable some of the boot logs which I think are
disabled by default in Debian.

You can buy PCI serial port cards if your hardware has none.

On 2 January 2014 09:40, Paul Freeman <paul@???> wrote:

> Happy New Year all!
>
> Leo, I believe there is a linux kernel parameter which will do what you
> require:
>
> consoleblank=   [KNL] The console blank (screen saver) timeout in
>                         seconds. Defaults to 10*60 = 10mins. A value of 0
>                         disables the blank timer. [1]

> [1] https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/kernel-parameters.txt
>
> there is always the option of using the serial console to catch any messages
> if your client & server machines have serial available!
>

> On 2014-01-01 22:55, Leo wrote:
>>
>> Happy New Year one and all!
>>
>> The ssh connection to my server died earlier so I decided to plug a
>> monitor in to see if anything showed up. However the terminal had
>> entered a screen saver mode so there was nothing displayed. Does
>> anyone know how to disable this as googling only seems to throw up
>> stuff related to X windows.
>>
>> Also, what do you do when you can't ssh in to a headless box? Is it
>> just a case of hard reboot and check the logs?
>>
>> Regards,
>> Leo
>

> --
> Please post to: Hampshire@???

Key fingerprint = EF78 310C C517 9564 9ECA 82F6 68FA E621 17E1 5D16
http://about.me/imranchaudhry