Re: [Hampshire] Moving to LAMP

Author: Joseph Bennie
To: paul, hampshire@mailman.lug.org.uk User Group
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Moving to LAMP

database:

I’ll push some simple vba scripts to git that will allow you to extract the table structures into mysql or Ms SQL DDL queries

Once you have the data structures exported, you can use a trial version of DBcompare or a like tool to move the data from the old db to the mysql db … OR just use the access export to dump csv files.

for the application layer/web layer… I’ve used cakephp many times to scaffold most of the basic functionality with its inbuilt commands, this also builds the models/controllers and default views. Cakephp is an established well tuned php MVC framework.

you can then extend the scaffolded pages with custom functions and view models (MVVM) or ignore the scaffold and do your own thing. ( also you might want to add a javascript layer to the app … i.e. extending table functionality with jTable, or date pickers and other widgets with jqueryUI or wijimo.

another neat trick with Cakephp is the ease of adding a REST API for the future when you needed to build a native mobile client.

I’ve tried using a few of the other options out there but this has been the most successful and reliable overall… most of the other point and click options fail in some critical aspect or auto generate code hell.

but let me know how you get on with the one below, its not one i have tried yet.

Joseph Bennie | Founder
07976 300036 | @Lincoreltd
jay@???