[Hampshire] Debian 7.1 startup problem

Author: Peter Alefounder
To: hampshire@mailman.lug.org.uk
Subject: [Hampshire] Debian 7.1 startup problem
I am using Debian 7.1, the x86-64 version.

Sometimes when starting my system it gets stuck at some point, not always the
same point. After pressing the reset button, the system boots normally. When
I first had my computer, this problem did not arise at all. Now, it is becoming
more frequent. Most recently, fsck failed with a return code of 8, and I was
advised to run it manually. I did: everything was clean and the system restarted
normally after "shutdown -r now".

I can't find anything I recognise as wrong in the log files. The problems may
arise before the point at which log files are written, or it may be that I don't
know what to look for or where to look. Any ideas?

Peter Alefounder.