[Hampshire] KDE configuration

Author: Peter Alefounder
To: hampshire@mailman.lug.org.uk
Subject: [Hampshire] KDE configuration
I now have a new computer from DNUK, with Debian 7.1. They did an
excellent job with the hardware, but gave me Gnome insteasd of KDE.
Not finding any way to have multiple desktops in Gnome, I have
installed KDE myself. It is possible that I have not included some
component or other.

Two questions:

(1) At the moment if I plug in (for example) a memory stick, a
little window pops up momentarily in the lower right corner of the
screen giving the option to open with the file manager. How can I
arrange to get an icon for the memory stick to appear on the
desktop, and remain there while the device is mounted?

(2) How can I change desktop backgrounds? Under Debian 4.1, I had
different background colours on 6 desktops. With 7.1, I have not
found any way to have anything other than a pattern of bands
radiating out from the lower right corner on all desktops.

I would be grateful for any answers. I have tried searching the web,
but have found nothing relevant.

Peter Alefounder.