Re: [Hampshire] KDE configuration

Author: Peter Alefounder
To: hampshire@mailman.lug.org.uk
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] KDE configuration

Samuel Penn <mailto:sam@glendale.org.uk%3Ewrote:
>On 2013-10-21 12:20, Peter Alefounder wrote:
>> I now have a new computer from DNUK, with Debian 7.1. They did an
>> excellent job with the hardware, but gave me Gnome insteasd of KDE.

> Which one? I've been looking at getting a new PC from them recently.

A Desktop D340:

https://secure.dnuk.com/systems/configure/d340.php

with AMD A4-5400K Dual-Core processor, 4GB RAM, 1TB hard disk (other
options are available for processor, RAM, disks etc). I can send you
more details if you want.

>> (2) How can I change desktop backgrounds?
>
>Right click on background, and on the menu select "Desktop Settings"
>That should give you the option to set your wallpaper (assuming that
>you're using KDE 4, I assume that's what comes on recent Debians).

Thanks, Sam. I have 6 desktops, and that works for nos. 2-6, but on
the first, I get a different menu that does not include "Desktop
Settings". However, the menu available from the icon at the top
right of the desktop has "Folder View Settings", and that does the
same job. Very odd.

Joseph Bennie <mailto:jay@lincore.com%3Esaid:
>> Two questions:

> (1) At the moment if I plug in (for example) a memory stick, a
> little window pops up momentarily in the lower right corner of the
> screen giving the option to open with the file manager. How can I
> arrange to get an icon for the memory stick to appear on the
> desktop, and remain there while the device is mounted?

> in the advanced options choose the check box for allow file manager to manage desktop.

I can't find the relevant advanced options. However, I don't really
need to do this. There is a nearly-invisible icon on the lower panel
which activates the device manager window, which shows an icon
alongside each device name for umount (or "safely remove", as it is
called now). That is the function I wanted.

> are you using bing?

No, google. Something I have noticed before is that several searches
for the same thing over a period of a few days may lead to google
finding more matching web pages. That has happened in this case, and
something I read there led me to investigate folder settings for
desktop backgrounds, as well as obvious desktop-related items.

Peter Alefounder.