Re: [Hampshire] Ebooks, was: disk types and layout on a new …

Author: Paul Tansom
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Ebooks, was: disk types and layout on a new box
** Alan Pope <alan@???> [2013-10-15 23:59]:
> On 15 October 2013 23:54, Paul Tansom <paul@???> wrote:
> > I'm suspecting the one I was referring to isn't the same device as it isn't
> > capable of running the Play store (as far as I know)
>
> http://www.babblingengineer.com/how-to/how-i-turned-my-nook-into-an-e-reader-monster/

That looks like fun, I almost wish I'd got two now! Thinking about it I'm sure
I saw a link to a virtualised Windows 3.1 on a Nook Simple Touch. I didn't take
enough interest to find out whether it was genuine though! I sort of assumed
that the limited hardware would have made not worth the effort to root and mess
around with - well not for me anyway, I have way too much on the go. That said,
if you can somebody no doubt will!

> > - it is the basic Simple
> > Touch E Ink display one. That I just connected up via USB and copied the files
> > across into the appropriate folder (My Files and then one of Books, Documents,
> > Magazines or Newspapers as appropriate). I've changed the screen saver in a
> > similar way (although it was fun converting the images to a suitable size and
> > limited greyscale!).
>
> Ah excellent, hadn't tried that, thanks!
>
> > The only issue I have is that it doesn't like the wireless N on my router and
> > I've had to (temporarily I hope) drop the speed down to G :( More of an annoyance
> > is the fact that the multiple user profiles isn't exactly sophicticated - they
> > are just adult or child, common pin for all adults and none for children. You
> > can then restrict what apps can be run, but any config is shared between
> > profiles - i.e. if you install Facebook, Twitter, Google+, etc. every profile
> > logs in with the same account :( Oh, another annoyance is the proprietary
> > connector for charging and data (I need to get a spare just in case as they are
> > only available while stocks last).
>
> Stock android is okay at splitting users up. I have a Nexus 7 which
> has an account for each of us. The kids check their email and play
> games on it, keeping their own scores.

That would be nice. I also prefer stock Android to the customised Nook version,
but with the warranty, and the fact that I'm not really using it myself, I've
not bothered to take it any further. I'm no entirely sure whether I'm a tablet
/ touch screen fan yet. Fine as a solution to the issue of providing input to a
phone, and handy for looking at paperwork in a meeting, but as soon as I want
to do more I find the keyboard takes up too much screen, and my fingers obscury
my view - at that point I'm looking for a Bluetooth keyboard and wondering why
I don't use a laptop with Linux and get far more functionality!

** end quote [Alan Pope]