Re: [Hampshire] disk types and layout on a new box

Author: Paul Tansom
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] disk types and layout on a new box
** Alan Pope <alan@???> [2013-10-15 16:47]:
> On 15 October 2013 16:14, Alex Dicks <alex@???> wrote:
> > Both the 4GB and 16GB SSDs failed on my old Eee 900, but in both cases I
> > could still read most of the files on them. I had backups anyway, but
> > no recent work was lost. The first I knew of the problems both times
> > was SMART errors caught by Disk Utility in Ubuntu. (Once one had failed
> > I trusted the other much less!)
>
> The SSDs in the Eee 701/900 were quite early generation devices, and
> had pretty terrible performance and reliability.
>
> I had one die too, the 4GB one in a 900 died, so I re-installed the OS
> only on the 16GB SSD, avoiding the busted one.
>
> Tis one of the reasons I don't like Ultrabooks™ (or thin laptops as we
> should call them now Intel has given up on the ultrabook brand), the
> fact that a lot of the components are soldered on.
>
> The 240GB disk in my X220 is getting quite full and I suspect at some
> point I'll buy a 500+GB SSD and migrate over. Can't do that with most
> ultrabooks, pretty though they are.

** end quote [Alan Pope]

Yes, I have the same concern with the inability to change batteries in tablets
and some phones & laptops. I have a Nook ebook reader and I get slightly
annoyed at the thought that I will have to scrap it when the battery gives up -
not a major issue given that it only cost me £29 and I've only used it to read
either the freely downloadable books, or DRM free ones (Humble Book Bundles).

I think some of the Asus netbooks had built in batteries. Thankfully the one I
have did not otherwise I would have had to scrap it (the battery started
getting short on capacity and then burst through the plastic case!). It still
works, and I may get round to getting a new battery at some point (although I
need to either speed up XP - spit - or get a decent Linux install running on it
first). My HP netbook is even older and that is still going strong thanks to a
new higher capacity battery (although to be fair the original is still doing
pretty well given that it is 5 years old and been used on a daily basis - much
better than my old Dell laptop where they told me a year was good going and I
should now by another one for £120 to last the next year!!!).