Re: [Hampshire] Using Linux to drive a simple TV info displa…

Author: Richard Bensley
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Using Linux to drive a simple TV info display
> My current plan is to use two instances of 'feh', to cycle through two
> different directories of images - one for the main part of the screen, and
> one for the sidebar. But this seems like a bit of a kludge to me. Note that
> whatever is implemented will be done using a relatively old, low-power
> machine, so fancy HTML5-based stuff is off the table.

Definetely a web page running on a fullscreen browser in kiosk-mod.

A web based solution can be remotely edited and deployed. Git is very
popular for static page deployments as you get version control thrown in
for free.
Take a look at some javascript carousels.
There are plenty of weather and information widgets and REST API's that can
be used, even the MET Office has a public API.

The problem with using images is rendering quality, it only takes one JPEG
to spoil a presentation. But if you do go the image route, use PNG's.

Putting data into images is tedious manual job and difficult to automate.
Putting data into a web page format can be automated easily from the start.

Rich