[Hampshire] Using Linux to drive a simple TV info display

Author: Andrew Howe
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: [Hampshire] Using Linux to drive a simple TV info display
Hi all,

I'm relatively inexperienced with Linux, and I'm writing to hopefully get
some input on a Linux scenario I have.

At work we're putting up a flat screen TV in our reception area to display
info to clients. My first instinct was to hook it up to a Linux box. The
goal is to have the left 80% of the screen displaying pictures and
information, and to use the remaining 20% as a sidebar displaying info like
the weather for the week ahead etc.

My current plan is to use two instances of 'feh', to cycle through two
different directories of images - one for the main part of the screen, and
one for the sidebar. But this seems like a bit of a kludge to me. Note that
whatever is implemented will be done using a relatively old, low-power
machine, so fancy HTML5-based stuff is off the table.

Can anyone suggest a better or more elegant solution?

Thanks,
Andrew