Re: [Hampshire] Microsoft from the inside.

Author: Richard Bensley
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
CC: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Microsoft from the inside.

> I came across the following blog entry today, it makes for quite
> interesting
> reading. Thought you might be interested.
>
> http://blog.zorinaq.com/?e=74

Really good read cheers Tim.

Sadly a lot of companies have this problem; don't re-factor, replace.
Oracle and MS are two shining examples of this.

Somebody asked my opinion recently on buying a laptop for full-time
development, and he gave a really good example of why he doesn't want
Windows. So it was just a Macbook VS Dell/Lenovo debate!

His reason for not settling on windows was how one adds a directory to the
PATH environment variable. The only method available to you in Windows
hasn't changed since the mid-90's! As seen here:
http://www.computerhope.com/issues/pictures/winpath.jpg

And it probably wont ever change. This tiny, un-sizable dialog box is all
you have. You must copy and paste the string into and editor and paste it
back. Linux/Unix, you just extend on PATH in your shell config.

Rich