Re: [Hampshire] Recommendations sought for system upgrade

Author: Gordon Scott
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Recommendations sought for system upgrade
On 23/08/2013 18:15, James Courtier-Dutton wrote:

> On Aug 23, 2013 4:39 PM, "Peter Alefounder" <p_alefounder@???
> <mailto:p_alefounder@yahoo.co.uk>> wrote:
>
> > Gordon Scott <gordon@??? <mailto:gordon@gscott.co.uk>> said:
> > > They say that does have a VGA D-Type. Gigabyte seem unsure .. in one
> > > place it says yes, in another it says no. Odd.
> >
> > Odd indeed. I'm not sure what type of VGA I have, I will look into
> > that. I didn't know there was more than one.
>
> If you need vga out, most DVI have a Vga output. all you need is a
> connection adapter.

Mostly for Peter's information.

'VGA' is normally a 15-pin D-Type connector in a 'DE' (9-pin) shell.
If you look at the connector, the metal surround is oval with a lightly
assymetric 'D' shape, and with three staggered rows of pins or sockets,
depending on whether you look at the PC or the lead.

DVI is a larger connector, also slightly D shaped, also with three rows
of pins, but they're not staggered; I also has a little cluster at one
end, with a blade connection (IIRC it's a connection, possibly it's just
a polariser).

DVI comes on analogue, digital. or both formats.

There are pictures here:
     http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Visual_Interface
together with some explanations if you're interested.

There are DVI to VGA adapters around as James says, but oddly GigaByte
_appear_ to say something along the lines of "not with this board, you
can't". I'm not sure I believe that, but if I wanted VGA and they
couldn't or wouldn't say "yes, it works", I probably wouldn't part with
my money for it, despite my feeling that it probably does work just fine.

Gordon

--
This message was written elegantly and lucidly, by my own fair hand using a quill pen on hand laid parchment. It was then scanned, OCRed, spiel-chequed, then cat und pastied into this email.

If it's now just gibberish, it's the software's fault.