Re: [Hampshire] Recommendations sought for system upgrade

Author: Peter Alefounder
To: hampshire@mailman.lug.org.uk
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Recommendations sought for system upgrade

Thanks to all for the ideas. I will investigate Novatech, Linux
Questions and Ebuyer.

Gordon Scott <gordon@???> said:
> They say that does have a VGA D-Type. Gigabyte seem unsure .. in one
> place it says yes, in another it says no. Odd.

Odd indeed. I'm not sure what type of VGA I have, I will look into
that. I didn't know there was more than one.

>Mostly the worst that happens is that the graphics card works, but
> not in '3D accelerated' mode.

My graphics card has a 3D mode, but I haven't used it for years. It
was active under SuSE and I think it caused the system to crash
sometimes. I have not bothered to get the 3D driver for my current
Debian system, so I don't think I run anything that might benefit
from having it.

Lisi <hantslug@???> said:
> Your preferred supplier sounds very expensive.

I agree! Not so much "preferred" as merely "local", I think.

Peter Alefounder.