Re: [Hampshire] How to get your foot in the door?

Author: Joseph Bennie
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] How to get your foot in the door?

> Hi thanks for the information.

:)

> I'm not much of a programmer although I have started teaching myself BASH scripting and python trying to get to grips with programming concepts was pointed in the direction of Python for its ease of use.

to be good with Linux/unix you need to think like a developer … its a power tool. .. people keep trying to dumb it down and suggest its a costumer OS (hi Ubuntu users!!) Which when done well ( hi Ubuntu users !!) is a good thing.

but really its a server OS.. It wipes the floor with everything except better unix's.
and in custom use cases a very good multifunction embedded OS.

> My interest is more in the way of providing Open Source solutions to small business / Charity completely bypassing the Windows side from a server perspective altogether.

...stick with something rock solid like Debian, unless you want to work for mid/enterprise companies that expect certifications.

> My distro of choice is Red Hat have been looking at the RHCSA materials and I feel this is the path I wish to go down.

.. go work for a small-mid size IT company who invest in this themselves. It will be more rewarding. the micro/small/charity route its a serious waste of time if your doing it for commercial ends.