Re: [Hampshire] OT:UK Mandatory ISP Filtering Selection Form…

Author: Martin N
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] OT:UK Mandatory ISP Filtering Selection Form Leaked
Lo,

At 15:29 23/07/2013, you wrote:
>Even though I am a technical user, for plenty of services I am an end user.
>
>I can predict now I shall be requesting the option to label myself
>as a customer that wants the filth delivered; sites I browse like
>reddit (r/programming, r/linux) will most definitely be added to the
>block list. As reddit is a giant community site, with plenty of
>categories for plenty of subjects, it's more than evident that large
>communities highlight the fact that most humans like looking at
>other humans in the buff (those cheeky mammals)!

Reminds me of the Scrubs TV doctor quote...

>On the back of all this, I find it ludicrous that it was the BPI
>(the British Porn Industry) that seemed to have had enough weight to
>throw around, they managed to lead the charge in getting The Pirate
>Bay blocked on most British ISP's, my main source for legal media
>and Linux Distro's. The Pirate Bay was turning into a platform for
>independent music and video artists to quickly gain recognition as
>they were starting out (even well established artists releasing
>content for free*), and not having to pay for content delivery.

Of course traffic only dropped for a few hours to pirate bay while
people googled for a way around it.
They just found sites like pirateproxy and traffic has now risen due
to the publicity for the pirate bay.

>So the BPI managed to justify that torrents were damaging their
>income, and it's a well known fact that porn is a driver of consumer
>influenced technology, so now they are going to block it by default?
>To coin an old phrase, "DOES NOT COMPUTE". I can't find any
>statements released by the BPI.
>
>Also worth a read:
><http://highscalability.com/blog/2012/4/2/youporn-targeting-200-million-views-a-day-and-beyond.html>http://highscalability.com/blog/2012/4/2/youporn-targeting-200-million-views-a-day-and-beyond.html
>And some wise words from AAISP:
><http://aa.net.uk/kb-broadband-realinternet.html>http://aa.net.uk/kb-broadband-realinternet.html
>
>Well it will be interesting for a while. But there are better ways
>to handle it. I am just annoyed because I know that community sites
>will be blocked; sites can be added to a filter without my knowledge
>or consent. It will be interesting to see how long I can keep the
>default filter enabled for.

This is the most worrying part as every ones definition of porn is different.
Catch all filters will always throw up false positives and innocent
sites will be blocked.

>I thought this was the whole point of the .xxx domains too, easy
>filtering out what clearly is marketed as adult content.
>
>*
><http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Closure_%28video%29#Availability>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Closure_%28video%29#Availability

Yes that is true however the domain registry has apparently legally
blackmailing companies along the lines of,
Do you really want a mothercare.xxx porn site?
Well you had better buy the domain off us to prevent it.

Martin N