Re: [Hampshire] OT:UK Mandatory ISP Filtering Selection Form…

Author: Richard Bensley
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] OT:UK Mandatory ISP Filtering Selection Form Leaked
Even though I am a technical user, for plenty of services I am an end user.

I can predict now I shall be requesting the option to label myself as a
customer that wants the filth delivered; sites I browse like reddit
(r/programming, r/linux) will most definitely be added to the block list.
As reddit is a giant community site, with plenty of categories for plenty
of subjects, it's more than evident that large communities highlight the
fact that most humans like looking at other humans in the buff (those
cheeky mammals)!

On the back of all this, I find it ludicrous that it was the BPI (the
British Porn Industry) that seemed to have had enough weight to throw
around, they managed to lead the charge in getting The Pirate Bay blocked
on most British ISP's, my main source for legal media and Linux Distro's.
The Pirate Bay was turning into a platform for independent music and video
artists to quickly gain recognition as they were starting out (even well
established artists releasing content for free*), and not having to pay for
content delivery.

So the BPI managed to justify that torrents were damaging their income, and
it's a well known fact that porn is a driver of consumer influenced
technology, so now they are going to block it by default? To coin an old
phrase, "DOES NOT COMPUTE". I can't find any statements released by the BPI.

Also worth a read:
http://highscalability.com/blog/2012/4/2/youporn-targeting-200-million-views-a-day-and-beyond.html
And some wise words from AAISP:
http://aa.net.uk/kb-broadband-realinternet.html

Well it will be interesting for a while. But there are better ways to
handle it. I am just annoyed because I know that community sites will be
blocked; sites can be added to a filter without my knowledge or consent. It
will be interesting to see how long I can keep the default filter enabled
for.

I thought this was the whole point of the .xxx domains too, easy filtering
out what clearly is marketed as adult content.

* http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Closure_%28video%29#Availability

P.S. On a happier note, some kids are doing positive things with
technology: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a35XINnYFtA (Tweeted by Jimmy
Wales).

Rich