Re: [Hampshire] Win8 recovery (not as OT as it sounds)

Author: Gordon Scott
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Win8 recovery (not as OT as it sounds)
On Sun, 2013-06-09 at 12:03 +0100, Gordon Scott wrote:

> So I'll be doing a fresh install again from Win8-Pro again.

A followup on this if anyone's interested.

I installed afresh from Win8-Pro.
I formatted the memory stick to NTFS and using Linux, copied the
recovery or restore partitions (the one with the most data) to the
memory stick, then used Win8-pro to 'refresh', which appears to have
recovered all the Win8 drivers, but I presume reverted to Win8-Home (how
does one tell?). So then I did the upgrade to Win8-pro.
Seems to have gone OK.

It all now dual boots again as intended, and the broken bit (the
touch-screen) works again in both OSs.

Incidently, I had a lot of trouble when trying to restore/refresh
because the partition with Win8: "Is locked. Please unlock and try
again". But with no clues _how_ to unlock. I searched the web for ages,
but none of the 'solutions' I found made any difference.
After I gave that up and tried to install Win8-pro, the installer said
the partition had been "something (locked/reserved?) by the OEM", which
presumably was my 'locked' problem.
I just deleted the partition. After that I could install OK.

What a pigs ear of a process.
All those hours of messing about just for two applications that aren't
on Linux and the occasional 'does my code work on Win8?" check.

Gordon.