Re: [Hampshire] Win8 recovery (not as OT as it sounds)

Author: Gordon Scott
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Win8 recovery (not as OT as it sounds)
On 08/06/13 13:30, Pete wrote:

> I have used http://sourceforge.net/projects/boot-repair-cd/    on a
> number of occasions on various os's (win 7, XP, OSX, and Linux) with
> success, in fact I used it on Friday to recover and old XP machine of
> a friends. (power cycled at boot) it fixed that!

> Might well be of use to you.

Hi Pete,

Yes, I have that. It came on the ubuntu .iso that I have for the Win8
install.
It finds all the Win8 stuff OK, the EFI bios and so on, but Win8 always
complains of a missing file (nkpbootx64.efi, bkpbootmgr.efi) or a
missing command 'drivemap' and Invalid EFI path.

I did something stupid this time, so I can't entirely blame MS or ASUS,
I made the recovery disk, but it blows away all my application, Then I
learned about the nearly-hidden Win7 recovery image, which I tried to
use, but it didn't want to make an image on the USB stick.

The stupid bit was that I then went back to plan A, installed Ubuntu and
went to do the 'refresh' and accept applications being blown away.

Guess on which memory stick I tried to make those W7 images. Yep .. the
recovery disc. Doh!

So I'll be doing a fresh install again from Win8-Pro again.

Gordon.