Re: [Hampshire] Linux compatible cameras

Author: Sean Gibbins
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Linux compatible cameras
On 16/06/13 10:58, Chris. Aubrey-Smith wrote:
> I'm not sure if I understand 'Linux compatible' in this context.
> Surely the compatibility is not a function of the camera?

Agreed, but I think I know what Keith is driving at; I suspect that he
wants his mum to plug in the camera and for an application like Shotwell
to pop up and more or less take care of copying the pictures to the hard
drive and clearing down the memory card on the camera, with as little
interaction as possible on his mum's part.

> I've used any number of different cameras with Linux machines and I've
> never had a problem.

We use Canons (I have a G12 and my wife has a smaller less complex
model) because they pretty much dominate the quality digital compact
market having got in early and done a lot of the hard work pioneering
the format.

As alluded to above, Shotwell does all of the archiving for us, pulling
the pictures off and storing them in a YYYY MM DD archive, with an
option to clear down the camera's memory when it is complete.

Sean

--
music, film, comics, books, rants and drivel:

www.funkygibbins.me.uk