Re: [Hampshire] [Slightly OT] Accessing genealogy data on PD…

Author: Tony Wood
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] [Slightly OT] Accessing genealogy data on PDF files
My stash of backup CDs contains a Windows3.1 (IIRC) program: 'Family
Tree for Windows' and large data files of our family tree. Back then I
thought it was very good. 'Will it work in Ubuntu 13.04?' I wondered.

The program and files transferred readily to the SSD and I tried to open
the program, fearing the worst.
'You'll need Wine; shall I pour some?' the computer asked.

Brilliant: up came the program, it all worked and I was able to update
records just as easily as I had in the dimly remembered past - it just
seemed far quicker.
(No idea of the format of the records but who cares if it just works.)

Don't you just love Linux?!

Tony Wood