Re: [Hampshire] Admin: May Meeting

Author: john lewis
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Admin: May Meeting
On Thu, 2 May 2013 08:07:44 +0100
Imran Chaudhry <ichaudhry@???> wrote:

> On 26 April 2013 21:33, Tim Brocklehurst
> <timb@???> wrote:
> > On Friday 19 Apr 2013 22:10:20 Tim Brocklehurst wrote:
> >> Our next meeting is at Southampton University on 4th May, starting
> >> at 1pm; And we've got a few talks planned:
> >
> > This week, the Debian team annouced the release date for Wheezy.
> > Excitingly, it's the weekend of the 4th/5th! Any ideas for how we
> > can mark this momentous occasion?
>
> Sadly I cannot make the meeting otherwise I'd join in the celebrations
> for Wheezy.
>
> I'd be curious to know how many of us would be sticking with Gnome 3
> in the upgrade or keeping it "Gnome 2-style" with something like MATE.

I have accepted that gnome3 is OK so long as 'classic mode' is
available. I have installed cinnamon and given it a try but prefer the
gnome2 look. Cinnamon has had several updates on my sid box since I
installed it but I haven't looked at it to see what has been changed.

Mate hasn't been packaged for Debian although mate-common is in
experimental so don't think mate is the way to go at the moment unless
you are happy to use non-debian packages for it.

I had a go a few days ago at upgrading one of my laptops to wheezy but
it was going to need tons of packages so gave up on it for now.

I am going to wait a while before thinking of up-grading my VPS though I
should really do it before geneweb 6.07 migrates into wheezy. I have
tried it out from experimental and don't like some of the changes the
developers have made since 6.05.

--
John Lewis
Debian & the GeneWeb genealogical data server