Re: [Hampshire] Apache expertise required

Author: James Bensley
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Apache expertise required
Hi Chris,

I'd be more than happy to throw in my two peneth worth if you can sort
out SSH access (I help maintain several Apache servers, although non
are resource constrained but they are all reasonably tuned, so I may
have some crossover of knowledge to offer) ?

Have you looked at the server (via SSH) whilst it's running slow to
work out where the bottle neck may be?

So you can try `iotop` to look at disk IO, `iftop` will look at
network usage, and `htop` is a slightly prettier (but arguably less
informative) `top` command.

Also, have you looked at options in the Apache config for settings
like the max number of threads, and connections, keepalive timers etc
(check out this URL for some common ideas:
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/misc/perf-tuning.html).

Have you looked into MySQL tuning also? A simple and effect starting
point is to run the infamous MySQL Performance Tuner script?
https://raw.github.com/rackerhacker/MySQLTuner-perl/master/mysqltuner.pl

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
James.