[Hampshire] Upgrade problem to Ubuntu 12.04 LTS

Author: Gordon Scott
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: [Hampshire] Upgrade problem to Ubuntu 12.04 LTS
Hi Guys,

After doing all that investigation and learning I finally run the
upgrade on my main work machine, expecting it to go reasonably smoothly.
Not so far :-(

The upgrade has happened, but some stuff is distinctly wrong and I have
yet to understand why.

The only desktop I can use is Unity 3D. Everything else comes up with a
desktop, with my own desktop stuff, but with no menus at all. No
toolbar, no shut-down, nothing. (I switch out of X to a raw terminal to
shut down).

Also, my multiple screens won't now operate independently.

Something I see as the X session starts after login may give clues to
this. I get a pop-up before X is fully running saying:

-----8<-----
: unable to launch "EDITOR=vi" X session --- "EDITOR=vi" not found;
falling back to default session.
-----8<-----

The only option is 'Okay'.

Nothing obvious in dmesg or the X_org logs.

The multi-screens issue may be a symptom of X fallback? When I try to
set non-mirrored, it says something like "requested size 3840x1080 is
larger that 1920x1920". Both screens are 1920x1080.

I do have a graphics card that needs a proprietary driver, though that
was working OK on 10:04LTS.

Any ideas, please?

Thanks.

Gordon.