Re: [Hampshire] Upgrade problem to Ubuntu 12.04 LTS

Author: Gordon Scott
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Upgrade problem to Ubuntu 12.04 LTS
Hi Alan,

On Sat, 2013-03-23 at 11:48 +0000, Alan Pope wrote:
> On 23/03/13 11:31, Gordon Scott wrote:
> > The only desktop I can use is Unity 3D. Everything else comes up with a
> > desktop, with my own desktop stuff, but with no menus at all. No
> > toolbar, no shut-down, nothing. (I switch out of X to a raw terminal to
> > shut down).
> >

> Sometimes people install/remove stuff over the life of their system
> which results in one of the critical packages for operation to get
> removed. You can ensure that everything that should be installed is
> installed with this pair of commands (not the caret):-
>
> sudo apt-get update
> sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop^

That installs nothing and suggests a couple of three that could be
removed.

> I would run that and observe if any packages get _installed_ as they
> were missing which may lead to some of the issues you're seeing.
>
> > Also, my multiple screens won't now operate independently.
> >

> I would backup and remove your /etc/X11/xorg.conf and let X figure out
> your screen setup automagically, then perhaps use nvidia-settings to
> fiddle about with the layout.

Hm, I didn't know one could do that.
It's made no difference, though :-(

> > Something I see as the X session starts after login may give clues to
> > this. I get a pop-up before X is fully running saying:
> >
> > -----8<-----
> > : unable to launch "EDITOR=vi" X session --- "EDITOR=vi" not found;
> > falling back to default session.
> > -----8<-----
> >

> That looks like an incorrectly formatted line in your x session startup
> somewhere?

I ran out of time yesterday, but today I'm running some find+grep lines.
I have it 'set EDITOR=vi' in my personal .profile, which for the moment
I've commented out with a #. I'll try that when the find has finished.
Nothing else besides .xsession-errors and my mail has it.

> > The multi-screens issue may be a symptom of X fallback? When I try to
> > set non-mirrored, it says something like "requested size 3840x1080 is
> > larger that 1920x1920". Both screens are 1920x1080.
> >

> Removing xorg.conf will probably work this out.

Sadly not yet.

BTW, I've just felt obliged to get Windows-8 and my criticisms of Unity
usability are as nothing compared to Win-8. That's absolutely appalling!

Gordon.