Re: [Hampshire] Improving Home Broadband Talk - Follow Up

Author: James Bensley
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Improving Home Broadband Talk - Follow Up
On Mar 7, 2013 10:13 PM, "Martin N" <martin.n@???> wrote:
> Not sure how far off I am from the exchange but my stats currently are:
>
> connection speed        2752 kbps736 kbps
> Line Attenuation        63.5 db31.5 db
> Noise Margin            12.0 db13.0 db

> Oooh above 60db attenuation.
>
> The most i receive is 310k per sec although it looks like it will be

lower with 275k
> minus overhead with this current connection.

That is a low number! (as the attenuation figure a minus figure, so
-63.5dB). I used to have 3 lines all with similar stats so I switched ISP
and got them bonded together. I definitely recommend this if you can afford
it.

I think BT have a minimum value which is like -65dB or -70dB, at which
point they won't provide any service because they can't provide any minimum
service level guaranties. If you line is above -65dB (which yours is) and
drops to -65dB you can ring them up and file a fault and they will came and
over your line.

Cheers,
James.