Re: [Hampshire] Improving Home Broadband Talk - Follow Up

Author: Martin N
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Improving Home Broadband Talk - Follow Up
Lo,

At 22:44 07/03/2013, you wrote:
>On 7 March 2013 22:13, Martin N
><<mailto:martin.n@bluebottle.com>martin.n@???> wrote:
>Hello,
>
>At 21:19 07/03/2013, you wrote:
>
>snip
>
>If you have an attenuation of 60dB or higher, may the force be with
>you. 60dB is typical of a line length of greater than 5.5Km which is
>really at the tip of what ADSL will operate at, at all.
>

>Not sure how far off I am from the exchange but my stats currently are:
>
>connection speed     2752 kbps736 kbps
>Line Attenuation     63.5 db31.5 db
>Noise Margin       12.0 db13.0 db
>
>Oooh above 60db attenuation.
>
>The most i receive is 310k per sec although it
>looks like it will be lower with 275k
>minus overhead with this current connection.
>

>There's some funky maths going on here methinks :-p
>
>2752Kbps != 275KB/s
>
>try
>
>2752 / 8 = 344KB/s
>
>you do yourself a disservice assuming Kb to KB
>is an order of ten magnitude difference.

Yes its a lazy thing us none maths people do.
I am am aware of it normally but not on this
occasion that its a divide by 8 calculation.

>[side-rant]
>WHY do so many people get KB and Kb, i.e. bits
>vs bytes and MB vs mB i.e. Mega vs Mili wrong!
>The number of times I see something like "I've
>got a 5mb connection" and have to refrain from
>asking what a milibit is! It's not even as if
>they were wanting to say MegaBits, but instead
>getting it wrong twice by meaning MegaBYTEs.
>There's a standard for a reason people!
>[/tongue-in-cheek-ranting-lunatic]

Yeah thats common thankfully i am aware of that as well.
I think it came in with nintendo and their megabit cartridges?

Martin N

Those who would give up essential Liberty, to
purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
Benjamin Franklin (1706–90)