Re: [Hampshire] APC UPS advice please

Author: Paul Stimpson
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] APC UPS advice please
Hi,

Is this the UPS you have?
http://www.apc.com/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=br800i&tab=models

Does this look like the correct manual for it?
http://www.apcmedia.com/salestools/ASTE-6Z7V5B/ASTE-6Z7V5B_R0_EN.pdf

I'm just going through what I would check. I'm not sure of your level of
experience and I hope you don't feel I'm insulting you.

On 07/03/13 18:26, Martin N wrote:

> Not really convinced yet that it is the battery.

Some times, batteries do go short and prevent gear from powering up. I
recommend you disconnect the UPS then unplugging the battery. When
you've done that, power the UPS up again. The manual says that if it is
powered up with no battery, it should chirp and show the green (power)
and red (replace battery) LEDs. If it doesn't do so with no battery
connected, that eliminates a present battery short as the culprit.

Next, I would eliminate all the silly "D'Oh!" problems. Check things
like there are volts on the end of the IEC cable and that you're
pressing the power button for the right length or time. (You did mention
holding the button down. The manual seems to suggest that a short press
is on and a >10 second hold is programming mode)

When you press the power button, do you feel the switch behind it click?
The switch is subject to mechanical force. Have the solder joints that
fix the switch onto the board broken?

Next I would look for fuses inside and bad connections (also do a
nose-test for "brown smell"). I always hope things like this are
something simple like loose/corroded connections, broken wires fractured
solder joints on things like the back of the IEC input. I know fault
finding why a switched-mode inverter isn't oscillating is beyond me.

Cheers,
Paul.