Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Domestic Energy usage

Author: Gordon Scott
To: adam.trickett, Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Domestic Energy usage
On 04/03/2013 23:27, Dr A. J. Trickett wrote:

> Our house was built in 1936 and has a EPC rating of "E" and an
> estimated energy use of 314 kWh/m2/year. Last year we ran the house at
> an actual energy use of 85 kWh/m2/year. What the inspector said and
> what is real are quite different. I'm just curious if anyone else has
> calculated or would be willing to calculate and share their domestic
> energy footprint?

I remember a landlord friend complaining that he'd done all the cavity
wall and loft insulation, etc., that the authorities demanded, then when
the inspectors came they marked the "cavity wall insulation" entry as
"presumed not". They didn't even ask.

> I'm curious to see what the energy footprints are for houses of given
> ages and how they compare to the EPC if you have it. This is totally
> unscientific but I'm curious what is out there.

I don't have an EPC.

Detached 1911 bungalow, significantly extended in 70s and readjusted in
80s to make the extensions more sensible. Quite a mix of structure
including original brick cavity walls, modern lightweight walls and
timber in the first floor. Cavity insulation, and as much loft
insulation as we could fit (which isn't that much), underfloor
insulation. 151m^2, 213kW/m^2. That includes cooking and hot water all
year and our hot water is on a pumped secondary ring main, so loses more
heat than most.

We have the room heat fairly low evenings and weekends, and just 10C at
all other times.

G.

--
This message was written elegantly and lucidly, by my own fair hand using a quill pen on hand laid parchment. It was then scanned, OCRed, spiel-chequed, then cat und pastied into this email.

If it's now just gibberish, it's the software's fault.