[Hampshire] Steam

Author: Sean Gibbins
To: HANTS LUG
Subject: [Hampshire] Steam
Hi Folks,

Coming in on the periphery of the Linux vs. Microsoft desktop debate is
the news that Steam is now available for Linux:

http://store.steampowered.com/sale/linux_release/

Now, my gaming days are long gone but I have just installed the client -
and will probably uninstall it later if I am honest - and that seemed to
go very smoothly indeed. It looks like you need to be running an nVidia
graphics card to get the best out of it, although that's what I have
gleaned from the install routine that wanted to pull in jockey and some
nVidia drivers despite me having and on-board ATI graphics solution.

I also note that a bunch of games I bought way back while running it on
Windows don't show up in my Linux catalogue, so I presume that the games
available to Linux users are somewhat limited at this point, but it's a
start I guess.

Has anybody out there installed and played anything yet?

And finally, am I right in thinking there's a bit of a kerfuffle kicking
off with some of the big game developers and Microsoft recently that has
led some of them [the developers] to threaten to go all Linux on
Microsoft's posterior? Maybe this is the thin end of that wedge...

Sean

--
music, film, comics, books, rants and drivel:

www.funkygibbins.me.uk