[Hampshire] Getting 3D Acceleration/Compiz working with Debi…

Author: Imran Chaudhry
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: [Hampshire] Getting 3D Acceleration/Compiz working with Debian Squeeze VirtualBox guest
Hey All,

I'm having a spot of bother getting 3D hardware acceleration and
Compiz working in my Debian Squeeze Virtualbox guest. Whatever I try
it defaults to software rendering. I have obvious things set such as
"3D acceleration" checked in the guest settings (Display > Video >
Extended Features).

Please can anyone assist? The net is full of people getting it to
"just work" with Ubuntu so I'm hopeful! I feel it's a "driver missing
issues" from some of the Xorg log but thought it might require some
voodoo with xrandr...

Some of my findings, version info and current situation:

###

I have Virtualbox guest additions installed which matches the host
Virtualbox version.

glxinfo:
name of display: :0.0
display: :0 screen: 0
direct rendering: Yes
server glx vendor string: Chromium
server glx version string: 1.3 Chromium

glxgears runs but not smoothly

[imran@debian ~]$ glxgears
XIO:  fatal IO error 104 (Connection reset by peer) on X server ":0.0"
     after 1414 requests (1412 known processed) with 0 events remaining.

the guest video device:

[ROOT@debian ~]# lshw -C video
 *-display UNCLAIMED
      product: VirtualBox Graphics Adapter
      vendor: InnoTek Systemberatung GmbH
      physical id: 2
      bus info: pci@0000:00:02.0
      version: 00
      width: 32 bits
      clock: 33MHz
      capabilities: vga_controller bus_master
      configuration: latency=64
      resources: memory:e0000000-e7ffffff(prefetchable)

guest = debian squeeze

[ROOT@debian ~]# cat /etc/debian_version
6.0.6
[ROOT@debian ~]# uname -a
Linux debian 2.6.32-5-686 #1 SMP Sun Sep 23 09:49:36 UTC 2012 i686 GNU/Linux

host = windows 7 pro sp1 64-bit
virtualbox version = 4.2.6
3d acceleration enabled in guest vm config

I added the "Virtual" lines in my xorg.conf on recommendation from link:
https://jeremy.visser.name/2009/10/no-dri-on-x-org-with-a-radeon-check-your-virtual-size/

SubSection "Display"
Viewport   0 0
Depth     16
Virtual 1920 1080
EndSubSection
SubSection "Display"
Viewport   0 0
Depth     24
Virtual 1920 1080
EndSubSection

notice these bits in Xorg log:

(II) AIGLX: Screen 0 is not DRI2 capable
drmOpenDevice: node name is /dev/dri/card0
drmOpenDevice: open result is 13, (OK)
drmOpenByBusid: Searching for BusID pci:0000:00:02.0
drmOpenDevice: node name is /dev/dri/card0
drmOpenDevice: open result is 13, (OK)
drmOpenByBusid: drmOpenMinor returns 13
drmOpenByBusid: drmGetBusid reports pci:0000:00:02.0
(II) Next line is added to allow vboxvideo_drv.so to appear as
whitelisted driver
(II) The file referenced, is *NOT* loaded
(II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers//ati_drv.so
(EE) AIGLX error: vboxvideo does not export required DRI extension
(EE) AIGLX: reverting to software rendering
(II) AIGLX: Loaded and initialized /usr/lib/dri/swrast_dri.so
(II) GLX: Initialized DRISWRAST GL provider for screen 0

I have these Virtualbox packages installed:

[imran@debian log]$ aptitude search virtualbox | egrep '^i'
i A virtualbox-ose-guest-dkms       - x86 virtualization solution - guest additi
i A virtualbox-ose-guest-utils      - x86 virtualization solution - non-X11 gues
i   virtualbox-ose-guest-x11        - x86 virtualization solution - X11 guest ut

these services are running in the guest:

imran@debian log]$ pgrep -fl VBox
885 /usr/sbin/VBoxService
3623 VBoxService
5144 /usr/bin/VBoxClient --clipboard
5153 /usr/bin/VBoxClient --display
5158 /usr/bin/VBoxClient --seamless
5162 /usr/bin/VBoxClient --draganddrop

i have these in `/etc/init.d`

vboxadd
vboxadd-service
vboxadd-x11
virtualbox-ose-guest-utils

this looks odd... no output!

[imran@debian init.d]$ ./vboxadd-x11
Usage: ./vboxadd-x11 {start|stop|restart|status}
[imran@debian init.d]$ ./vboxadd-x11 status
[imran@debian init.d]$ ./vboxadd-x11 start
[imran@debian init.d]$ ./vboxadd-x11 status
[imran@debian init.d]$

###

Thanks!

--
GPG Key fingerprint = B323 477E F6AB 4181 9C65 F637 BC5F 7FCC 9CC9 CC7F
http://about.me/imranchaudhry