Re: [Hampshire] Another Raspberry PI question.

Author: Tim Brocklehurst
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Another Raspberry PI question.
On Tuesday 05 Feb 2013 18:12:24 Bob Dunlop wrote:
> Anyway whilst it is possible to build isolated inputs that
> understand two or more levels and relay them through to the
> micro as an analogue signal to measure with and ADC I bet the
> setup is ticky. I'd suggest builing two digital inputs to allow
> you to monitor white and grey directly and ignore the orange.

Interfacing an ADC is not hard. The MAX 146 communicating over SPI is pretty
simple (I've done it and I'm happy to share the circuit diagram and code).

The further question that springs to mind is do you actually have to monitor
AC at all? Typically, there is a number of thermostats around the house. As I
understand it, these are just bi-metallic switches. Do these still switch
correctly at a lower voltage? Or can they be replaced with something like the
DS18B20 1 wire temperature sensor? These are cheap and simple to interface.

At which point your controls are the valve(s), boiler and pump.

Cheers,

Tim B.
--
Hampshire Linux User Group Chairman