Re: [Hampshire] Another Raspberry PI question.

Author: Bob Dunlop
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Another Raspberry PI question.
Hi,

On Tue, Feb 05 at 09:55, James Courtier-Dutton wrote:
> I have a component I need to detect reliably.
> It outputs about 100V AC when "off" and proper 230V AC when "on".
> It is a Honeywell V4073A, if you are interested.
> This 100V AC when "off" is causing problems with the heating going on
> at the wrong time.

How I hate Honeywell valves.
Bad design down to a price in my opinion. The single way ones run a
small motor to open the valve against a return spring. When the
valve is fully open, they leave it running, stalled against the
endstop. They burn out and when you buy a replacement head at
great expence you find they've changed the coupling and the head
won't fit. Fortunately in the end I found an uprated motor that
doesn't appear to burn out so often.

From the datasheet the two way valve is an even worse monstrosity.
White wire is 240V for cental heating demand, grey is 0V for hot
water. +ve and -ve logic in one device. I bet the orange output
is some sort of center tap between two motor coils driving in
opposite directions.

Sorry rant over.

Is it possible white and grey are swapped, or your timer doesn't
understand the negative logic for hot water ?

Anyway whilst it is possible to build isolated inputs that
understand two or more levels and relay them through to the
micro as an analogue signal to measure with and ADC I bet the
setup is ticky. I'd suggest builing two digital inputs to allow
you to monitor white and grey directly and ignore the orange.

--
        Bob Dunlop