Re: [Hampshire] Hostnames

Author: Benjie Gillam
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Hostnames
Try adding ".local" to the existing hostnames now to invoke mDNS/Zeroconf - e.g. `ping hostname2.local` . If you don't have it installed it's just a `sudo apt-get install avahi-daemon` or similar away. When I had a Linux DHCP server at home it Just Worked(TM), but that was a few years ago now. You have to install avahi-daemon on each linux machine, it works automatically on Macs (because they invented Bonjour), and on Windows it works if you install the Bonjour tools I think.

DHCP/bind integration is the better solution (and only requires software installed in one place, and only once) but zeroconf is (was) considerably easier. It may even already work!