Re: [Hampshire] Scamming call

Author: Gordon Scott
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Scamming call
On Mon, 2013-01-28 at 11:48 +0000, Brad Rogers wrote:

> The use of those devices is supposed to be illegal in the UK, but I bet
> they get used quite extensively. Of course, since most of these calls
> originate overseas, the point is moot.

Sadly the reason so many originate overseas is specifically to get
around the issue of 'illegal in the UK'.

Similarly, cold sales calls are against the TPS regulations, but surveys
are not, which is why so many such calls are 'surveys'. If you then
express any kind of interest in anything, you immediately become an
'interested party', and have in essence just agreed to be 'phoned on the
matter .. i.e., it's no longer a cold call.

Gordon.