Re: [Hampshire] Promoting LUG meets via social networking

Author: Tim Brocklehurst
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Promoting LUG meets via social networking
On Sunday 27 Jan 2013 18:00:26 Ally Biggs wrote:
> Just a idea but to attract more newcomers to meets. You should hold
> Talks on stuff like the basics of Linux
> Administration covering areas such as basic samba (getting windows and
> Linux to play nicely). There is probably Alot of people out there coming
> from a windows world who are making the transition to Linux. Who are not
> necessarily gurus and do not want to sit to talks and lectures on advanced
> topics. With raspberry pi being released this would also be a perfect
> opportunity To grab new users attention. I'm quite
> New to Linux myself I wouldn't want to
> Attend a meeting and sit through a talk
> On something I'm either not interested in or am technically not at that
> level. It would put me off attending further meetings. A beginners setting
> up a Linux server workshop would be very Popular with myself and a lot of
> other
> People out there. Just some thoughts

Ally,

The plan this year is to have a few scheduled "events". A lecture (which we've
done), a debate (still being developed), and a social BBQ in the summer. Other
monthly meetings have had a much less formal "agenda" for quite a while. I
like the "workshop" idea, and that's what we're gradually moving towards.
There are usually enough knowledgable people at the meetings to answer most of
your questions, and can walk you through the steps. If there's a particular
area you're interested in which you want a demo on, then please post a request
for info when the meeting is announced (sorry I've been a bit slow doing it
this month), and someone might be able to help you. I can certainly help with
your topics above.

Hope to see you at the Feb meeting,

Tim B.

--