Re: [Hampshire] printer recommendation

Author: Lisi
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] printer recommendation
On Friday 04 January 2013 21:37:04 john wrote:
> Laser printer not inkjet is recommended for occasional hard-copies.

+1. If the printer is only used occasionally the ink dries out in the
nozzles. The skilled and adept can clean the nozzles, but it can get a bit
time consuming, and some of us are not very successful at it.

> Brother laser printers will work on both 32 and 64 bit.  Brother also offer
> telephone support on both windows and linux.

My Samsung ML1510 cost me £49 some years ago. Samsung nowadays supplies Splix
for its printers as HP does with HPLIP and HPIJS (?). It has worked trouble
free via CUPS on several distros (Debian, several releases - Sarge through to
Wheezy; PCLOS, Ubuntu, Kubuntu, CentOS, Libranet, and I think that there have
been others briefly over the years, but I can't call them to mind at the
moment). It runs/has run with no problems on both 32 bit and 64 bit. I
don't think that I had it long enough ago to have run it on 16bit. ;-)
Supplies are a bit expensive at ~£50 for the toner and drum combined unit,
but are rarely needed if you are not a heavy user. The engine has lasted for
far longer than it was supposed to. When I have used up my present backup
toner/drum I shall not replace it. I don't want to be left with one on my
hands! It gives plenty of warning when it is nearing running out, and I can
just get a unit then.

I have installed more recent Samsung MLs for other people and have never had a
problem.

I don't think that they have telephone support, but as I have never needed it
I have never bothered to find out. There is an excellent manual that so far
has told me what I have needed to know. All the toner/drum units I have
bought so far, are packaged with detailed instructions on installation, so
that I have not needed even to open the manual.

The print quality is not quite as good as that of my one and only previous
laser printer, a Panasonic, but is more than adequate for "cheap and not
necessarily cheerful". In fact, my husband can't see any difference in print
quality from the Panasonic.

But over all I am delighted, as I am sure that you can tell.

Lisi