Re: [Hampshire] Windows 8 (Not entirely O.T.)

Author: Tim
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Windows 8 (Not entirely O.T.)
On 28/12/12 16:59, Gordon Scott wrote:
> On Fri, 2012-12-28 at 16:24 +0000, Tim wrote:
>
>> I agree with Peter, it is better install on a fresh clean partition
>> rather than to upgrade an existing installation.
> Ditto.
>
> I have to say though, that until recently I've only _seen_ upgrade and
> OEM copies, no retail copies. DABS now have the latter.
>
> A further good rule of thumb, generally, is not to move to the new
> version until SP1 has been released. By then the worst of the howlers
> should be reasonably sorted.
>
> I suppose there's no point in asking for clarification of the term
> 'upgrade' :->
>
> Gordon.

I have done upgrades in the past where I have had to install the old OS
and then run the upgrade OS straight over the top of it because the
upgrade disc would not accept the supplied OEM disk as prove of a source
for upgrading. This has worked but I would still prefer to do it from a
freshly formatted disk though.

Tim