Re: [Hampshire] Dropbox alternative

Author: Alan Pope
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Dropbox alternative
On 19/12/12 21:28, Dr A. J. Trickett wrote:
> A friend is looking for something like Dropbox but it can't be Dropbox as it's
> apparently banned in China. He basically need to sync data on a server in the
> UK and one in China so people can easily read and write to their local server
> and have it synced with the other one, and ideally access it on the move - web
> access. Clients are mostly Windows but the servers could be Linux. He is
> willing to pay but free is also good!

I found waula to be painfully slow and resource intensive. Spideroak is
okay but has a confusing GUI IMO. I would recommend Ubuntu One but I am
clearly biassed there.

Sparkleshare just hit 1.0

http://sparkleshare.org/

Given from your description it's server to server sync not multiple
client sync I'd look at Unison.

http://www.cis.upenn.edu/~bcpierce/unison/

Cheers,
--