Re: [Hampshire] Communications Data Bill

Author: Gordon Scott
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Communications Data Bill
On Fri, 2012-12-14 at 14:53 +0000, Lisi wrote:
> On Friday 14 December 2012 10:28:46 Gordon Scott wrote:
> > Maybe I'll start encrypting all my email.
> > Then they'd just get bored and ignore it :-)
>
> Or use their draconian powers (already enshrined in law?) to demand your
> password. Not giving the information is a criminal offence, with a penalty
> of 2(?) years in prison. It is also an absolute offence, so "I don't know"
> is not a defence (even if true), nor is "It isn't encrypted". When asked for
> your password for a computer or its drives, you have to give the information,
> whether a password actually exists or not.
>
> These days I say nothing in an email, if I would be distressed if what I say
> were to be circulated or spied on.
>
> Lisi

...which risks take the fun out of making a large file of random
numbers, encrypting it, and sending it to a Nigerian-Scam sender, marked
"Here's the information you need". :-)

BTW, I _was_ also joking in my earlier mail.
I suspect sending encrypted email is pretty much a guarantee of
generating some interest.

G.