Re: [Hampshire] Ubuntu spy program

Author: Alan Pope
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Ubuntu spy program
On 12/12/12 08:34, Tony Whitmore wrote:
> On 2012-12-12 01:44, Paul Stimpson wrote:
>> Isaac Close <ack@???> wrote:
>>
>>> It may be possible to remove this with :
>>>
>>>     # sudo apt-get remove unity-lens-shopping

>>> Which worked for my ubuntu 12.10 box.
>>>

>> Interestingly, if you open the Ubuntu Software Centre and search for
>> "lens" the shopping lens doesn't show up to remove. If one wished to
>> be uncharitable, one might jump to conclusions...
>
> You would be being uncharitable. Whilst you can of course remove the
> package via the command line as Isaac says, there is now a GUI to
> disable the shopping lens:
>
> http://askubuntu.com/questions/192269/how-can-i-remove-amazon-search-results-from-the-dash
>

> Searching for packages by their name is weirdly hit and miss in the
> Software Centre IME.

It does show up in the Ubuntu Software Centre (USC). However not in the
default view because by default we don't show "Technical items". USC was
designed to filter out technical items by default - such as libraries
and meta packages, so that users don't get a view flooded with things
which aren't "Apps".

If a user searches for "lens" they will see some additional lenses they
can install, and there's a "show technical items" at the bottom of the
window which will reveal the hidden things.

No, it's not hidden to prevent people un-installing it, it's hidden
because it's a technical item, in the same way as searching for "jpeg"
doesn't show "libjpeg-dev" by default. On my system if I search for
"jpeg" I see ~30 applications, games and tools. If I "Show technical
items" this balloons to an unwieldy list of nearly 500 things. If you
like unwieldy, Synaptic package manager is your friend I suspect.

Cheers,
--
Alan Pope
Engineering Manager