Re: [Hampshire] Ubuntu spy program

Author: Paul Stimpson
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Ubuntu spy program

Isaac Close <ack@???> wrote:

>It may be possible to remove this with :
>
>    # sudo apt-get remove unity-lens-shopping

>Which worked for my ubuntu 12.10 box.

Interestingly, if you open the Ubuntu Software Centre and search for "lens" the shopping lens doesn't show up to remove. If one wished to be uncharitable, one might jump to conclusions...

I love Ubuntu and I know they need to make money but I'm worried that the bean counters may be taking over. I'm really finding it hard to believe anyone who knows the community wouldn't see the risks of alienating their core support by leaking personal information off the box. There has to be another way.

One of my commercial customers that deals with sensitive information has just rejected Unity. I don't know is this was a factor. I can't imagine my friend that works in child protection entertaining it.

I would be happy if there was a selection of commercial search tools and it was easy and obvious how to choose which ones, if any, I want to share my searches with.

The Unity type to find way of working is definitely growing on me. I used a colleague's XP machine today for the first time in ages and, on seeing the packed out start menu, my first instinct was to want to press the first few letters of what I wanted to do.

Cheers.
Paul.

--
Sent from Kaiten Mail on Android. Please excuse my brevity.