Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Equality Act 2010 compliance

Author: Gordon Scott
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Equality Act 2010 compliance
On 26/11/2012 16:51, Benjie Gillam wrote:
> On 26 Nov 2012, at 16:45, Lisi wrote:
>> I can't be the only person
>> who takes one look at some websites, says well, if they don't want me, then I
>> don't want them - and surfs away without looking.
> Sight issues aside, I do that to websites that overly use Flash, or require it to do things that HTML is quite capable of doing (e.g. pressing a button/drawing an image...)

Yep, me too. I also keep pieces of paper to hand to cover the irritating
movements of many adverts.

www.w3.org has stuff on accessibility.

I used to use a tool called Bobby that I got from there, but it started
to become such a big workload trying to keep up with all the little
things about which it whinged that I eventually gave up. And I think
Bobby was better than many.

The issue for me is that they expect just about every non-text item to
have usability texts, even if they're used just as layout tools. I still
try to mark up the essential stuff, but I long since abandoned any hope
of coping with everything.

My websites are usually reasonable enough, I think, for the non or
poorly sighted to use. Far better than many others I see on the Web.

W3 have stuff here: http://www.w3.org/WAI/eval/Overview

These days, what I usually do is look at the website using the Lynx
text-only browser. If it's sensibly usable that way, then I feel I've
done enough.

Large organisations might not get away with that :-/

Some CMS systems do a pretty reasonable job of building a usable site;
some are hopeless; I think Flash is likely impossible at present.

Gordon.