[Hampshire] Hard disk failing

Author: Kevin Safford
To: hampshire
Subject: [Hampshire] Hard disk failing
gsmartcontrol reports that my hard disk is failing.

I can still read and write to the disk, but I want to replace it before
it's too late. I've not had to do anything like this before, so help! I
have a new disk, ready and waiting.

The failing drive is partitioned as:
    /dev/sda1    ext4    /    37.25 GiB
    /dev/sda3    ext4    /home    424.63 GiB
    /dev/sda2    extended    3.87 GiB
       /dev/sda5    swap

After the latest problems, I booted into recovery mode and ran fsck,
accepting the default options, to tidy up orphan files.

I then installed ddrescue, and put a copy of /dev/sda on an external
hard drive:

     sudo ddrescue /dev/sda /media/rescue/sda_rescue rescue.log

That gives me a 500 GB file. I've also got (stored separately), gz
backups of /home.

From some of the messages I got when installing ddrescue (from memory,
that there's no version information for various packages, assuming they
are not installed), I've lost some of the synaptic information.

What's my best way forward from here? When I've swapped disks, can I use
dd to write my rescued information to the new hard drive?

If so, is it advisable to do this, or is it better to do a clean
install, and copy over /home from a backup?

If I do a clean install, what's the easiest way of getting a list of
software that I've installed through synaptic, and reinstalling it?

I'm running Mint 13 Mate 64-bit.

--
Kevin Safford