Re: [Hampshire] OT: broadband router with DNS....

Author: Bob Dunlop
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] OT: broadband router with DNS....
Hi,

On Wed, Nov 21 at 04:24, cjl@??? wrote:
> But for something as central to the reliability of the network (and a
> network used by a few very non-technical people), I was hoping to
> avoid non-standard firmware.

At work we build high reliability systems very often with 3rd party
networking infrastructure.

When we are asked to include routers (often by non-network savy users)
we install Open-WRT on them to improve reliability and usability. When
network savy users ask us to include routers because the bean counters
insist on using a single supplier they often require us to install
Open-WRT as well.

Can't remember anyone suggesting the standard firmware might be better.

We have of course carefully selected Open-WRT and hardware combinations
that we know to work.  In general stick with popular brands and models
of hardware.
--
        Bob Dunlop