Re: [Hampshire] OT: broadband router with DNS....

Author: Benjie Gillam
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] OT: broadband router with DNS....
On 21 Nov 2012, at 16:24, cjl@??? wrote:
> But for something as central to the reliability of the network (and a network used by a few very non-technical people), I was hoping to avoid non-standard firmware.

I had to flash one of my Virgin Media routers (a Netgear one, I think) with DD-WRT because it was so unstable (requiring a reboot every 1-3 weeks). DD-WRT was fantastically stable by comparison - it had well over 200 days uptime at one point... and then we had a power cut. I've since had that modem/router combo replaced with a SuperHub*

* they're really not that Super, believe me. If it wasn't gigabit I'd just use it as a modem and hook the old DD-WRT router back up.