Re: [Hampshire] [ADMIN][IMP-WEB] Developing the HantsLUG web…

Author: Chris Dennis
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] [ADMIN][IMP-WEB] Developing the HantsLUG website
On 16/10/12 08:22, Alan Pope wrote:
> Hi Chris,
>
> On 15/10/12 21:43, Chris Dennis wrote:
>> At the AGM, we discussed the fact that the existing website is
>> languishing somewhat for lack of fresh content and general TLC.
>>

> How does moving from Website Engine A to Website Engine B generate fresh
> content? In my experience it results in a small bump in website activity
> then as excitement about the new system fades, it falls back to the
> current state, no activity besides when the last/next meeting was/is.

True. I wasn't suggesting that a shiny new website would change the
world. But maybe it will help as part of Tim's other plans to
reinvigorate the LUG.

>> I'm happy to get that process started unless there are any objections --
>> initially I'll get the new site running in parallel with the old.
>
> Why "initially"? Does that mean you'd shut the wiki down? That would be
> unfortunate.

Why unfortunate? What is there on the wiki that you'd like to keep? In
any case, I was planning to migrate any content that looked vaguely
interesting or recent to the new site.

> What we (Ubuntu) have found is a way forward is to have multiple sites.
>
> www.ubuntu.com - flashy "look at us" page which is the home page
> wiki.ubuntu.com - technical documentation for users/developers
>
> There's other sites too of course, but my point is that there are two
> audiences to be served, two main use cases. One allows us to introduce
> new people to the LUG, the other creates a place where we can put
> free-form documentation including meeting minutes, technical notes,
> "about me" pages and so on. We (Ubuntu) do all of that on the wiki, and
> leave the ubuntu.com site as the welcome mat for new users.
>
> Perhaps we should have www.hants.lug.org.uk which is the "front door"
> and has one simple but pretty main page which contains links to the
> right wiki pages, and have the same theme on www.hants.lug.org.uk/wiki
> and lock it down to only be edited by us.
>
>> I'd like to get members' ideas and opinions on these sorts of questions:
>>
>> * What is the website for?
>
> * What is HantsLUG
> * Where is the next meeting
> * What happens at a meeting
> * What happened at the last meeting
> * What resources does the LUG have
> * How can I get in touch with the LUG
> etc
>
>> * Who is it aimed at?
>
> New people and us.

Yes -- it can be part of a publicity campaign to get more people
interested in the LUG.

>> * What should it look like? Suggestions for suitable WordPress
>> templates will be especially welcome.
>
> WooThemes is good for decent wordpress themes.
>
>> * What should it contain?  These sorts of things perhaps...
>>    (in no particular order)
>>    - Reviews
>>        - books
>>        - hardware
>>        - software

> Nobody will write these. See the wiki for evidence of one book review in
> 2 years.

You never know -- people might get keen and positive again.

> http://www.hants.lug.org.uk/wiki/BookReviews?action=info
>
>>    - Meetings and other events
>>        - upcoming events
>>        - records of previous events
>>            - talks, photos, etc.
>>        - presentation topics
>>            - wanted
>>            - offered

> This is probably the most valuable part of the whole website, for new
> and existing users alike.

Agreed.

cheers

Chris