Re: [Hampshire] Ubuntu 12.04 Server Issue

Author: Sean Gibbins
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Ubuntu 12.04 Server Issue
On 17/10/12 16:01, Mihai Badea wrote:
> If you managed to boot that means grub can work, no matter what distro
> you use. So you should at least be able to boot to grub menu. I have
> an Ubuntu 12.04 server myself on an ASRock ION 330. Perhaps it was
> something you forgot (such as grub not installed in mbr, partition not
> marked bootable, hdd order swapped in bios at the time, and with the
> repartitioning and a new install it got fixed). Perhaps it was just
> bad luck?

Hello Mihai,

Bear in mind that while the issue was manifesting it wasn't actually
POSTing, and even if it were GRUB-related I would expect to see some
sort of error to that effect. Add to that it did the exactly the same
with two installs on two different hard drives and it seems unlikely
that it was down to bad luck, too. Normally I wouldn't rule out
incompetence either, but I've installed Linux enough times now to
hopefully know what I am doing!

Anyway, 10.04 has been downloaded and is ready to go, so let's see what
happens there!

Sean

--
music, film, comics, books, rants and drivel:

www.funkygibbins.me.uk