Re: [Hampshire] [ADMIN][IMP-WEB] Developing the HantsLUG web…

Author: Sean Gibbins
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] [ADMIN][IMP-WEB] Developing the HantsLUG website
On 16/10/12 09:19, Philip Stubbs wrote:
>> How does moving from Website Engine A to Website Engine B generate fresh
>> >content? In my experience it results in a small bump in website activity
>> >then as excitement about the new system fades, it falls back to the current
>> >state, no activity besides when the last/next meeting was/is.
> I think Alan is right.
>
> Installing a fresh new CMS will generate some excitement, it does
> nothing for the longer term.
>
> The most useful information on the Wiki is going to be the pages
> regarding meetings and mailing list details.
>
> The other information is likely to get old and stale. Can we have a
> system where the oldest pages get highlighted and requests for
> updates? Could be done as a group activity at a meeting. Just a
> thought.

The proposal was I believe for a Wordpress style blog to which the
members have access and would supply articles, and which also
facilitates static pages for the 'constants' we wish to convey. This
will, I suspect largely overcome the problems with spam that often
prevents wikis from functioning as intended.

And, if the new system does generate a bump of activity before settling
down into a similar static state, what's the problem with that? At least
in that instance there /is/ increased activity. As things stand we have
little or no activity and a stale, locked down site.

Doubtless there was some resistance to the wiki when it was first
mooted, so unless the proposals look like they will bring about the
downfall of HantsLUG and subsequent shame us all, I say give 'em a go.
Worst comes to the worst we revert after an agreed trial period to the
old system.

Sean

--
music, film, comics, books, rants and drivel:

www.funkygibbins.me.uk